The purpose of this Homelab is to provide me with a platform to develop basic vRealize Orchestrator workflows, browse existing code/workflows in vRealize Orchestrator and do vRealize Orchestrator workflow/plugin development against phpIPAM.
- Internet: 100Mbit / 30Mbit, provided via coaxial thru local cable tv company.
- Internet Modem: Cisco EPC3925 DOCSIS 3.0, which is only used as a modem (Provided by cable tv company).
- Router/Firewall: Ubiquiti UniFi USG, 3 Port gigabit router, fanless.
- Switch (Lab): Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 24 Port, 24 port gigabit + 2 port SFP gigabit, fanless.
- Switch (Home): Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 - 60W, 8 port gigabit, 4 of which are PoE ports, fanless.
- Wifi Access Points: 2x Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro, with the UniFi Controller located on my Synology NAS.
- Cabling: I exclusively use CAT6 STP cables. The ones I use currently is from MicroConnect.
Public internet - hazenet.dk
Out on the public internet I have this website, which is hosted by One.com, they also provide DNS for my domain. In that DNS setup, I have a single record related to my lab/home/hourse, called “home.hazenet.dk”. That just points to my static public IP, so that I can VPN into my lab/home/house.
Homelab - both home.hazenet.dk and lab.hazenet.dk
These two DNS zones are hosted on my Synology NAS, using the Synology DNS server application.
VLANs and Subnets
I have devided the network into 3 VLANs:
- VLAN 1 - Home network - IP scope 172.21.101.0/24
Used for Wifi, laptops, iPads, iPhone, Synology NAS, UniFi USG, UniFi Switch 24 and UniFi Switch 8
- VLAN 10 - Lab - IP scope 172.21.110.0/24
Used for VMware ESXi on Intel NUC and lab VMs
- VLAN 20 - Lab NFS - IP scope 172.21.120.0/24
Used for NFS trafic between Synology NAS and Intel NUC
My compute power comes from a single Intel NUC (NUC7i3BNH), with the following specs:
- CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-7100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
- Memory: 2x 16GB, total of 32GB
- NICs: Embedded Intel I219-V Gigabit and external Plugable USB-C Gigabit Ethernet adapter
- Boot volume: Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8 GB for ESXi installation
- Local Storage: Samsung SSD SM863 240GB 2,5” SATA
- NFS Storage for ESXi (primeraly for ISOs and Templates)
- SMB/AFP file storage for laptops
- Video Station, for video playback on laptops, iPads, iPhones and AppleTV in the house
- Cloud Station, for remote backup of Synology NAS shares to Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage
- DNS server