Today I was installing a new vCenter 5.5 server for a customer, on a freshly installed Windows Server 2012 VM, which would also be hosting the Micrsoft SQL database locally.
I had already joined the server to the domain and setup Micrsoft SQL Server 2012 SP1, and created the vCenter Database, and an accompanying System DSN, so I was ready to do the vCenter installation.
I chose to install using the Simple Install method, because… well this was a simple installation.
SSO, vSphere Web Client and Inventory Service all installed with any issues.
But during the vCenter Server installation, I got a error with something like:
Unfortunately, I did not take a screenshot, so I don’t have the precise error message.
The error occurred during the installation of vCenter Server Directory Service (also called vmwarevcmsds).
I retried the install a couple of times, with a restart and other basic stuff in between, but the error persisted.
Searching for a solution the recommended fix was to rejoin the server to the domain,
which wasn’t a good solution in my mind, do to the Micrsoft SQL Server running on this server.
So I found another solution here: implbits.com
The method I chose to use, was the netdom.exe method, which was the simplest of the two suggested on the site.
All I did was open a administrative Command Pompt, by selecting “run as Administrator”.
And then run the below command:
Change dc01.example.com to a Domain Controller for your Domain
and change example.com\domain-admin-user to a Domain Administrator user within your domain.
The /pd:* specifies that you will be prompted for the password of the Domain Administrator user, so that the password won’t be in clear text.
When the netdom.exe returned success, I rebooted the server
and ran the vCenter Server installation again (not the complete Simple Install, just vCenter Server). And it now worked.